Fri, Feb 20, 2026

Andrew latest updates: Police searches continue at Royal Lodge after former prince is released under investigation

Andrew latest updates: Police searches continue at Royal Lodge after former prince is released under investigation

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was last night released from police custody where he spent 11 hours following his dramatic arrest at his home in Sandringham.

The former prince became the first senior royal to be arrested in modern history after he was held on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

As his arrest triggered arguably the biggest crisis in the monarchy for nearly 400 years, his brother, the King, insisted Andrew should be subject to the full force of British justice, saying: 'The law must take its course.'

Searches of Andrew's former Royal Lodge home are continuing today as Andrew remains under investigation following his release. 

Follow the latest updates here 

Unmarked police cars head to Royal Lodge as searches continue

A number of unmarked vehicles believed to be police cars have been entering Royal Lodge today as searches continue following Andrew's arrest.

Last night Thames Valley Police said searches in Norfolk at Andrew's new home in Sandringham had concluded but that activity in Berkshire was still continuing.

Police were seen entering Windsor's Royal Lodge, Andrew's home of more than 20 years, yesterday following news of his arrest.

Earlier this morning, two police officers were seen leaving the front gates leading to Royal Lodge in Windsor, as a helicopter circled the property.

Unmarked vans, believed to be police vehicles, have been entering the grounds throughout Friday morning.

14:13

West Yorkshire Police become latest force to review Epstein files

by Inderdeep Bains, Deputy Chief Reporter

West Yorkshire Police has become the 10th force to confirm they are reviewing the explosive tranche of Epstein files.

A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police said: ‘We are assessing the detail of the information that’s been made public to determine any potential links to the West Yorkshire area’.

Here's a reminder of the nine police forces also assessing information:

  • Metropolitan Police 

Examining claims that royal protection officers 'turned a blind eye' during visits to Epstein's private island and has launched an investigation into Peter Mandelsonover claims he passed sensitive information to Epstein

  • Surrey Police

Seeking information regarding an allegation made in Virginia Water in the 1990s

  • Thames Valley Police

Assessing claims that Epstein sent a young woman to the UK for a sexual encounter with Andrew at Royal Lodge in 2010

  • Essex Police

Assessing information  which suggests Epstein trafficked sex victims to the UK via Stansted airport

  • Bedfordshire Police

Assessing Epstein's use of London Luton Airport

  • Police Scotland

Asking for information about Epstein's use of Edinburgh Airport

  • West Midlands Police

Assessing Epstein's use of Birmingham Airport

  • Wiltshire Police

Reviewing its records and supporting the Met Police in its investigation.

  • Norfolk Constabulary

Reviewing Epstein files but have not received specific allegations

14:01

The royal mugshot: How Andrew was 'treated like a common criminal' after his arrest

WINDSOR, UNITED KINGDOM - SEPTEMBER 19: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) Prince Andrew, Duke of York attends the Committal Service for Queen Elizabeth II at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle on September 19, 2022 in Windsor, England. The committal service at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, took place following the state funeral at Westminster Abbey. A private burial in The King George VI Memorial Chapel followed. Queen Elizabeth II died at Balmoral Castle in Scotland on September 8, 2022, and is succeeded by her eldest son, King Charles III. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

by Aidan Radnedge

Arrested former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor faced having a mugshot and his fingerprints taken during 12 hours of police questioning.

The former Duke of York would have been treated like a 'common criminal' as he was taken into custody on Thursday before being released last night, experts say.

Photographs, fingerprints and DNA swabs would likely have been taken, according to Government guidance - while the ex-prince would be offered a cup of tea and one phone call.

A Government website page explaining arrest procedures states: 'The police have the right to: take photographs of you; take fingerprints; take a DNA sample, such as from a mouth swab or head hair root; swab the skin surface of your hands and arms. They do not need your permission to do this.'

Retired Met Police sergeant Graham Wettone, author of How To Be A Police Officer, described the likely conditions during Andrew's stay, telling the Daily Mail: 'It'll be no bigger than a box-room in a three-bed semi.

'There's no facility for any preferential treatment in any custody suite I've ever been in. You can't have an upgraded room, you can't get upgraded meals - you get what's there. Microwaved.'

13:33

Andrew’s place in line of succession must be considered ‘when time is right’

File photo dated 30/01/26 of Liberal Democrats leader Sir Ed Davey, who will travel to Edinburgh on Friday to help clean up a beach. The Liberal Democrat leader will join the Surfers Against Sewage group at Portobello Beach. Sir Ed has called for better sewage monitoring in Scotland, saying only a fraction of spills are currently recorded. Issue date: Friday February 13, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s place in the line of royal succession is something Parliament 'is going to have to consider when the time is right', Sir Ed Davey has said.

The Liberal Democrat leader said the monarchy will want to ensure the former prince, who is still eighth in line to the throne despite having lost his title, cannot become king.

An act of Parliament would be required to remove Andrew from the line of succession.

'The most important thing right now is that the police be allowed to get on with their job, acting without fear or favour,' Sir Ed said.

'But clearly this is an issue that Parliament is going to have to consider when the time is right, naturally the monarchy will want to make sure he can never become king.'

13:21

Watch: Alison Hammond blasted for ANOTHER blunder discussing Andrew's arrest

Alison Hammond has been blasted for yet ANOTHER blunder on This Morning while discussing Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest.

The TV personality, 51, was once again addressing the developing news surrounding the disgraced royal's arrest on Thursday under suspicion of misconduct in public office. Prior to this, Andrew was accused of having sex with the late Virginia Giuffre when she was underage.

Virginia claimed she was trafficked to the prince by the convicted paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew denies having ever met her, despite paying her millions in an out-of-court settlement.

When the subject came up on the show, despite its notoriety, Alison mispronounced Virginia's surname, calling her Virginia 'Guff' and not Virginia Giuffre.

She said: 'Should we talk about some of the victims? The relatives of the late Virginia Guff, who claimed she was trafficked to prison to have sex with Andrew, have shared their reaction to his arrest.'

This went far from unnoticed by This Morning viewers, who were still reeling from the host's bizarre decision to question why Andrew was arrested on his birthday yesterday.

12:48

Shamed Andrew plays with a very rude ball and mystery toddler in new photo

BGUK_3495331 - *PREMIUM-EXCLUSIVE* Los Angeles, CA  *MUST CALL FOR PRICING BEFORE USAGE*    **USA AND CANADA CLIENTS MUST CALL FOR RIGHTS** Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -- formerly known as Prince Andrew -- turned fun bags into kicks for kids in some very un-princely photos obtained by TMZ.  These pics of Andrew, taken back in 2011, show the then-Duke of York kneeling across from a young boy and rolling a ball back and forth with him.  Just clean, wholesome fun ... until you realize the ball is painted like a breast, complete with a pale pink nipple protruding from it.  The young boy appears to be horsing around with the boob ball while Andrew crawls around on a rug across from him in several of the snaps. A later pic shows them sitting together on a couch.  Our sources say ... these pics were taken inside Andrew's Windsor residence a little more than 15 years ago. We're also told Andrew was not alone with the child.  As you know, Andrew was arrested Thursday -- his 66th birthday -- on

New disturbing photographs of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor playing with a mystery toddler and a ball resembling a woman's breast inside Royal Lodge emerged today.

The bizarre pictures, apparently taken in 2011 at his grand Berkshire royal home, capture Andrew kneeling and talking to the little boy who is clutching a so-called 'boob ball'.

In a further image the toddler is shown picking up the lewd sphere off the plush dark wood parquet floor.

The then Duke of York is also shown grinning with the child on a sofa in pictures published for the first time just hours after his arrest by police following a raid on Sandringham.

Royal Lodge is currently being searched by officers investigating the former prince, who was held on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday. He was bailed after 11 hours in custody.

12:28

Wedding underway in Windsor Great Park as Andrew search continues

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Maureen McLean/Shutterstock (16687511e) Television crews, journalists and press photographers were outside the gates to Royal Lodge the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor this morning in Windsor Great Park following his arrest yesterday. According to media reports Thames Valley Police are searching Royal Lodge following Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest. The former Prince Andrew was released following questioning last night in Norfolk but remains under investigation Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrest by Thames Valley Police, Windsor, Berkshire, UK - 20 Feb 2026

A wedding is taking place at a chapel in Windsor Great Park while a helicopter circles nearby Royal Lodge and members of the media gather outside the gates.

As police continue their searches at Andrew’s former home in Berkshire, guests are celebrating a marriage less than 500ft (150m) away at the Royal Chapel of All Saints.

The chapel, which is also known as Queen Victoria’s Chapel, was used as a place of worship by the late Queen Elizabeth II, and was where one of Andrew’s daughters, Princess Beatrice, married.

The helicopter, believed to be linked to the media, prompted some upset among members of the public entering Windsor Great Park, with some commenting on its disruptive noise.

12:16

POLL OF THE DAY: Should Andrew be removed from the royal line of succession?

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor spent the majority of his 66th birthday in police custody after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The former prince was released on Thursday evening after 12 hours, following a police swoop that morning at his new home in Sandringham, Norfolk.

The King, Andrew's elder brother, issued a statement declaring his 'full and wholehearted support' for the police - adding: 'The law must take its course.'

Andrew was previously second and is now eighth in line to the throne.

He has been stripped of his royal titles, but some suggest he should now be taken out of the line of succession.

What do you think? Vote here in the Daily Mail's latest poll:

12:03

Tory MP urges Andrew to remove himself from line of succession

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been urged to give up his place as eighth in line to the throne following yesterday's arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Conservative MP Andrew Bowie said the former prince should be removed from the line of succession if he is found guilty of the offence, and pushed him to do so voluntarily.

The shadow Scotland secretary, told GB News:

I think it would be the decent thing. Of course, if he’s found guilty of this, I think Parliament would be well within its rights to act to remove him from the line of succession.
But, let’s remember, he’s not been found guilty of anything just yet – he has yet to be charged with anything. So we have to let the police investigation run its course, and I think we should all act accordingly subsequent to that.
11:51

'He's a scapegoat': Andrew's Norfolk neighbours react to his arrest

People living close to Andrew's new home at Sandringham have described him as a 'scapegoat' as they reacted to his arrest today.

A resident of Dersingham, near the King’s estate, described his reaction to the former duke’s arrest on Thursday morning as 'difficult'.

He said:

I’d say there’s no smoke without fire, is it? They’re certainly hounding him, alright. Obviously there’s something to look at.

Bricklayer Jamie Jackson told The Times:

My mum and my nan all follow [the royals] — anyone my age doesn’t care. I don’t know anyone that supports him round here.

Luke Schrier, 47, added:

I just think Andrew needs to go. If we went back 200 years ago, he’d have been beheaded. It’s an embarrassment to England because this is going to be worldwide.

But Magda Hope, 67, told the newspaper:

I do feel very sorry for him because he’s the scapegoat. They make an example of him when there’s so many others. What’s happening with Mr Trump?

And a retired teacher from King’s Lynn, who did not give his name, added:

I think it’s a bit of a witch-hunt, but he’s horrible.
11:33

Greens call for statutory inquiry into Andrew

Green Party leader Zack Polanski takes part in his first phone-in on LBC, from the Millbank Studios in Westminster, central London. Picture date: Wednesday February 18, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

Green Party leader Zack Polanski said there should be a full statutory inquiry following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

Asked for his reaction to the arrest while he was campaigning in Gorton, Greater Manchester, Mr Polanski said:

I think it’s pretty awful. I think there are lots of questions to be asked.
We obviously need to wait for the legal process to make its way, but I would say we really need a full statutory inquiry into public figures from institutions, where crimes have been committed – if they’ve been committed – what we knew, what other people in those institutions knew and, where necessary, to make sure that the appropriate people are removed.

Mr Polanski said he did not believe the country should have a monarchy.

He said:

The monarchy are doing a pretty good job in themselves of not having their proudest moments over various issues we’ve seen in the last couple of years and, when the public are ready to have that national conversation about the monarchy, I think issues like this certainly don’t help the monarchy’s case.
11:25

Pictures: Police surround Royal Lodge as search enters second day

These pictures show police have surrounded Royal Lodge as officers carrry out searches at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's former home for a second day in a row.

Aerial images show police are standing guard outside the 30-room property where Andrew lived for more than 20 years.

Police officers at Royal Lodge, the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in Windsor, Berkshire. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Picture date: Friday February 20, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire
Police officers at Royal Lodge, the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in Windsor, Berkshire. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Picture date: Friday February 20, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire
Aerial views as police surround Royal Lodge in Windsor after Andrew's arrest
Aerial views as police surround Royal Lodge in Windsor after Andrew's arrest

Related Articles

Image