President Donald Trump said Thursday that he will be directing War Secretary Pete Hegseth to begin releasing government files related to space aliens, unidentified aerial phenomena and UFOs.
The president did not give a timeline on when the documents and files would be released but it comes after he criticized former President Barack Obama for divulging "classified information" when he said he believes aliens are real.
"Based on the tremendous interest shown, I will be directing the Secretary of War, and other relevant Departments and Agencies, to begin the process of identifying and releasing government files related to alien and extraterrestrial life, unidentified aerial phenomena and unidentified flying objects and any and all other information connected to these highly complex, but extremely interesting and important, matters," Trump posted on Truth Social.
Trump said earlier Thursday that he did not know if "aliens are real or not."
The comment comes after Obama told a podcaster last week that it is statistically likely for there to be life beyond Earth given the vastness of the universe, but denied that such life is being held at Area 51.
"There's no underground facility unless there's this enormous conspiracy and they hid it from the president of the United States," Obama said.
The topic also comes after a Pentagon report in 2024 revealed an increase in sightings but no evidence of extraterrestrial beings.
