Fri, Feb 20, 2026

Andrew is released under investigation following arrest, police confirm: Latest updates on shamed ex-Prince

Andrew is released under investigation following arrest, police confirm: Latest updates on shamed ex-Prince

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from police custody after he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. 

Photographs show the former Duke of York being driven away from Aylsham police station in Norfolk this evening. 

He has been released under investigation, Thames Valley Police said in an update, adding that their searches of his Sandringham property have now have concluded. 

Andrew, who is eighth in line to the throne, was detained on his 66th birthday following allegations he shared reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore with disgraced financier Epstein. 

His brother, the King, said earlier that 'the law must take its course' after expressing his 'deepest concern' over the arrest.

Follow the latest updates below 

22:24

DAILY MAIL COMMENT: A grave threat that the Monarchy must survive

22:01

Anti-monarchy group Republic tell King Charles to 'speak up' and claim credit for Andrew arrest

The anti-monarchy group Republic today said it is time for King Charles III to 'speak up' about what he knows about his younger brother's relationship with paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, as it claimed credit for Andrew's arrest.

Head of the group Graham Smith said: 'Make no mistake, this is a result of Republic's action.

'We reported Andrew to the police when others were unwilling to act. Republic has been instigating a private prosecution when the police were reluctant to investigate.

'Republic's lawyers will continue to investigate related alleged offences and provide information to the police over the coming weeks and months.

'There is reason to believe that in relation to some offences other senior royals may be material witnesses and may have also committed offences.

'The police must follow all evidence wherever it leads.

'In the meantime Charles and William need to speak up and admit to whatever they have known, when and why they continued to protect Andrew.'

The group said it intends to stage a protest at a Commonwealth Day service attended by senior royals on March 9.

21:50

Disgraced former Prince Andrew is mercilessly mocked on social media after he was arrested on his 66th birthday

By Katherine Lawton

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been ruthlessly mocked by social media users after he was arrested on the morning of his 66th birthday.

The former Duke of York was detained by officers during an 8am raid on his new home at Wood Farm, on the Sandringham estate, on Thursday.

Thames Valley Police confirmed the disgraced royal had been arrested a few hours later, with officers able to hold him without charge for 24 hours from the time he arrived at a police station.

He was later photographed in the back of a car leaving Aylsham police station in Norfolk shortly after 7pm.

Memes of Andrew's arrest - which happened to take place on his birthday - have gone viral on social media, with some raking in tens of thousands of likes and shares.

One post on X shows a photo of the former duke grinning next to an image of him with a straight face, alongside the caption: 'Prince Andrew before and after he realised the Birthday stripper was a real policewoman.'

21:35

What is misconduct in public office?

As Andrew tries to settle back into his Sandringham home after his bruising day in police custody, officers will be continuing their investigations.

Misconduct in public office, which the former prince is accused of, is an offence open to interpretation that can be hard to prove.

It is defined by the Crown Prosecution Service as the 'serious wilful abuse or neglect of the power or responsibilities of the public office held'.

Some 191 people were convicted of misconduct in public office between 2014 and 2024.

For a charge to be brought, the CPS states there 'must be a direct link between the misconduct and an abuse of those powers or responsibilities'.

Crucially, any prosecutor must prove that whatever took place was done wilfully, so was not an accident or genuine mistake, rather with purpose or through serious neglect of duty.

These types of investigations are often complex, so it is likely to be weeks or even months before any decision on whether to prosecute Andrew is made.

21:20

IN PICTURES: Police leave Andrew's Norfolk home after 11-hour search

Police left Andrew's Norfolk home this evening after spending 11 hours searching the property.

The unmarked police cars were spotted leaving Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate at 7pm, after arriving at around 8am today.

Searches of Andrew's Windsor home remain ongoing.

Picture supplied by Bav Media  07976 880732.  Pic dated Feb 19th shows police leaving Wood Farm in Sandringham on Thursday evening.   The police have just left Andrew Mountbatten Windsor's Norfolk home this evening (Thurs) after spending 11 hours searching the property. The unmarked police cars were spotted leaving Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate at 7pm, after arriving at around 8am today. It comes after Andrew was arrested this morning "on suspicion of misconduct in public office."  See copy catchline  Police leave after 11 hours at Andrew Mountbatten Windsor's Norfolk house
Picture supplied by Bav Media  07976 880732.  Pic dated Feb 19th shows police leaving Wood Farm in Sandringham on Thursday evening.   The police have just left Andrew Mountbatten Windsor's Norfolk home this evening (Thurs) after spending 11 hours searching the property. The unmarked police cars were spotted leaving Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate at 7pm, after arriving at around 8am today. It comes after Andrew was arrested this morning "on suspicion of misconduct in public office."  See copy catchline  Police leave after 11 hours at Andrew Mountbatten Windsor's Norfolk house
21:15

The subtle signs King Charles and Queen Camilla were hiding 'inner anxiety' as they greeted royal fans on day of Andrew's arrest

King Charles and Queen Camilla showed subtle signs of 'inner anxiety' as they attended public engagements just hours after Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested, a body language expert has claimed.

The couple appeared composed as they greeted royal fans at separate events this afternoon - with the King attending London Fashion Week while his wife appeared in Westminster to meet young music scholars.

It came just hours after the King's younger brother Andrew was arrested and taken into custody amid a morning raid on his new and former homes.

Multiple sources claimed Charles and Buckingham Palace were not informed in advance of the operation by detectives.

Body language expert Judi James has claimed Charles and Camilla showed mirroring signs of 'inner anxiety' throughout their engagements today, despite seeming calm on the surface.

Read the full story below:

21:12

Giving Home Office a heads-up about Andrew's arrest was 'routine', police chiefs say

Earlier, the Daily Mail revealed police had briefed the Home Office in advance about their plans to arrest Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

In an update, the National Police Chiefs' Council said this was 'in line with routine practice'.

They added: 'This gave 30 minutes' notice before Thames Valley Police made the arrest.'

20:48

Press wait at Sandringham for Andrew's arrival

Members of the press have gathered outside Andrew's home, Wood Farm, in anticipation he will arrive there shortly after being released from custody.

Members of the media at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor has relocated following his departure from Royal Lodge in Windsor. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and is in police custody. Picture date: Thursday February 19, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire
Members of the media at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor has relocated following his departure from Royal Lodge in Windsor. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and is in police custody. Picture date: Thursday February 19, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jordan Pettitt/PA Wire
20:42

The dossier of allegations that have tumbled out of the Epstein files and led to Andrew's dramatic downfall

By Inderdeep Bains, Deputy Chief Reporter

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest for misconduct in public office follows a vast slew of allegations that have tumbled out of the explosive Epstein files.

The then Prince Andrew was handed the prestigious role of UK's trade envoy in 2001 in a bid to provide him with a new lease of life after the end of his 22-year Royal Navy career.

Now mounting claims suggest he may have exploited his position for something for more sinister than mere travel perks.

Here, the Mail examines the dossier at the heart of the King's brother's dramatic downfall:

20:29

Pictured: Inside Aylsham police station where Andrew was questioned

According to a police report, Norfolk Constabulary opened new custody suites at Aylsham police station in 2011.

The image below shows what one of the refurbished cells looks like.

The report reads: 'In 2011 we opened new custody suites at Aylsham, Great Yarmouth, King’s Lynn and Wymondham in a joint project with Suffolk Constabulary.

'Not only did this provide us with the right custody capacity and fit for purpose facilities, but it has enabled us to modernise some of our older police station sites.'

EAST ANGLIA NEWS SERVICE, tel. 07767 413379The Aylsham police investigation centre where Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was questioned after his arrest.
TAKEN FROM POLICE REPORTPolice Investigation Centres:In 2011 we opened new custody suites atAylsham, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn andWymondham in a joint project with SuffolkConstabulary. Not only did this provide us withthe right custody capacity and fit for purposefacilities, but it has enabled us to modernisesome of our older police station sites.https://www.norfolk-pcc.gov.uk/assets/documents/Norfolk-Constabulary-Estates-Plan-2022-2025.pdf
20:21

Read the Daily Mail's story on Trump's response to Andrew's arrest

By Phillip Nieto, US Political Reporter

Donald Trump said he was 'very sad' to see Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The ex-prince was arrested on his 66th birthday after British police raided his luxurious estate in Sandringham.

Speaking to reporters on Airforce One, Trump said: 'I think it's a shame. I think it's very sad. I think it's so bad for the royal family. It’s very, very sad. To me, it’s a very sad thing.'

Read the full story below:

20:14

WATCH: Andrew is seen after being released from custody

Related Articles

Image